9-11 - The day America stepped through the looking glass
Anniversaries are for remembering. And what I remember about 911 was that it was the day the US public lost its mind. It is dizzying to look back at all the lies the public has been presented with, and largely swallowed, over the last 17 years. It is disheartening to read polls showing that, most of the time, most of the public buys these lies. I thought it would be simple to just list all the lies. But, when I tried, the list got so long I had to get picky.
Starting at the beginning
I never bought the 911 story. The supposed perpetrators looked pretty incompetent (not to mention being connected to intel ops). Their identification too quick and precise. The cellphone "Let's roll." heroism seemed technically dubious. The ground level approach path of the jet that hit the Pentagon required an experienced multi-engined jet pilot, not some amateur. Surveillance camera footage at the Pentagon raised more questions than it answered. Saudis were whisked out of the country when all flights were grounded. Finally, the collapse of the three WTC buildings into their footprints was unprecedented. Despite that, the WTC wreckage was instantly shipped to China for scrap instead of being examined; some bullshit explanation was offered years later by NIST.
But, the real kicker for someone who had lived through the three assassinations of the 1960s was the coordinated attempt to push the "official" story and to actively smear and discredit anyone with questions. Eyewitnesses were ignored (like the ones who saw the "devout" terrorists boozing it up in a strip club). Fire department radio conversations disappeared. A "convenient" (and never repeated) anthrax attack spooked Congress into passing the police-state enabling Patriot Act. A Congressional committee report on 911 censored the part which pointed the finger in the direction of KSA. Architects were immediately suspicious - see Architects for 911 Truth - and their evidence can withstand any "magic bullet", ala the JFK coverup. But these thousands of licensed professionals with massive amounts of evidence are somehow "conspiracy theorists".
Then they went to work on the media. Given the level of media concentration (six corporations), it wasn't that hard. Bill Maher was slapped, but not fired. Phil Donohue was fired. The Dixie Chicks were smeared. The media got the message, so that by the time of the Feb. 15. 2002 anti-war marches, the NYT couldn't be bothered to report on 500,000 people marching practically underneath their office windows. By the time of "shock and awe", the media was a cheerleader for the military, not a free press.
Off to the secret races
The first thing that happened after 911 was the massive build out of the security state. Dozens of secure buildings sprung up around DC to house massive numbers of contractors. The intel community not only bought billions of dollars of internet snooping equipment from the Israelis. They also adopted wholesale their policing model: the citizens are potential terrorists; treat them like threats, not citizens. This has proliferated, with military surplus weaponry being given to your local cops. They also use the Stingray cellphone interception technology without a warrant, which is finally beginning to be shut down by the courts as illegal search. Despite such small progress, "parallel construction" tactics make a mockery of law enforcement actually having to obey the law.
Thanks to Ed Snowden, we have some idea of the scale of domestic surveillance; and it is frightening. Every last bit of the internet scooped up and stored in Utah. Literally one million folks with security clearances - and dog knows how many of them using that access (ala Nellie Ohr) to run their own fiddles on the side.
An incomplete list of today's lies
I think that remembering the world before the wall-to-wall lying started is the most important use of today's anniversary. Its important to remember when the media and the government hadn't completely fused into the Ministry of Information. But, I need to follow through on my original goal of listing at least the most salient lies of the Soviet-level agitprop that backstops our worldwide warmongering and our domestic corruption.
Active foreign lies
1. The Syrians are going to use chemical weapons, because stupid.
1A. The US does not fund or train or protect ISIS and al Qaida.
1B. The White Helmets are legitimate.
1C. All Moslems (except KSA beheaders) are to be feared, because Islam is a violent religion.
2. The Russians poisoned the Skripals (don't ask for evidence) and must be sanctioned.
3. We are making progress in Afghanistan.
4. The Russians are threatening tiny, depopulating Lithuania.
5. Julian Assange must be surrendered to the US, but not the papers who published him, because people died. (see Lie #11)
6. Libya, the richest country in Africa, had to be destroyed (and its gold reserves looted) to be saved.
7. Iraq had WMDs and was somehow responsible for 911.
Passive foreign lies (we will not mention that)
8. Opium production in Afghanistan is at all time highs, and US troops are busy protecting it.
9. Israel has officially declared itself to be an apartheid state.
9A. KSA is a medieval theocracy, with an inbred, corrupt royal family.
9B. Mohammad bin Salman is committing genocide in Yemen and torturing his relatives at home.
10. Lithuania and Ukraine have apartheid rules for their Russians.
11. Hillary's server was hacked by the Chinese, which got 20 spies executed.
12. The Ukranians are neo-Nazis.
13. The Saudis were involved in 911.
13A. US foreign policy is nothing but threats and violence. Funding and running terrorists, lobbing bombs and missiles, imposing sanctions, supporting coups. We don't do diplomacy anymore.
Active domestic lies
14. The Russians stole the election for Trump.
14A. The economy is doing great. So is the stock market. (See Lies #24A,B)
15. The FBI and Mueller are patriotic, dispassionate sifters of evidence.
16. The CIA is the people's friend. Sabotaging the president is just fine.
17. It is absolutely necessary that the FAANG actively censor, based on input from the Ukronazi "Atlantic Council"
18. Hillary Clinton and the DNC committed no crimes, despite the acknowledged-to-be-true Wikileaks emails.
19. The Clinton Foundation was not a massive, international influence peddling scheme, which included selling 20% of US uranium supplies to Russia.
20. Seth Rich was the victim of a mugging, not the source of the DNC leaks.
Passive domestic lies (we will not mention that)
21. Climate change is well underway, and probably irreversible.
22. Our military budget is obscene - equal to the rest of the world combined - and corrupt and wasteful.
23. Our privatized, guaranteed profit, prison system treats prisoners like animals.
24. Wall St. was bailed out in 2008 and went right back to biz as usual - which will blow up again soon.
24A. Most of Trump's tax cut is being spent on stock buybacks, which is all that keeps the stock market from collapsing.
24B. The job numbers are rigged, ignoring long term unemployed, underemployed, etc. Half the country doesn't have $500 for an emergency.
25. There is a war going on between factions of the Deep State. This war is the real "politics" of Corporate America.
26. The Steele Dossier is a complete piece of crap that probably has something to do with the Skripals.
Twenty-six (+9) lies without even trying. Feel free to add to the list (hopefully putting the lies into one of the four categories).
Today, we are living in that Bizarro World that lefties used as satire back in the early 2000s. Dick Cheney has won, and the "reality based community" is a joke. The media narrative is as fraudulent as the Stalinist history in which Leon Trotsky never existed.
The left completely underestimated the power of coordinated, institutionalized lying and censorship to bury the truth, to smear the truth tellers, and to sell complete, reality-contradicting fantasy as the truth. Large parts of the so-called left in this country remain clueless about the sellout to our corporatists masters by Democrat politicians, and they (the so-called left) cheer for the coup the Democrats are running with the Deep State.
I encourage others to remember what this country was like before it was Pearl Harbored/ Reichstag Fired into becoming a "shitty big state". You should use today to "witness" how this country was as recently as 20 years ago. What with Syria about to explode again, but maybe for real, and with the whole Mueller farce about to implode, this may be the last moment of relative calm into which one can speak.
I won't forget 911. It was the starting gun for the destruction of democracy in this country.
In four words:
Its the lying, stupid!