Bugs, Rain, and Aliens
I have noticed something disturbing to say the least. I'm sure many of you have heard about the bug apocalypse by now. When I googled it just now, there seems to be some debate on whether it is actually happening or not. All I know is what I can see with my own eyes.
For the past few days my husband and I have been sitting on the back porch at night with the porch light on. Now, experience tells me I should not turn the light on or we'd be bombarded with every bug around. But that's not the case. I have seen moths, but only one at a time. One single, solitary moth will flit around the light for a while, never being joined by any others. My back yard is a few acres of woods. I should be seeing all kinds of bugs. The lightning bugs are also still there but not like they used to be. Just the occasional blink of light here and there.
The ticks are another story though. If you walk 5 feet into the woods for 5 minutes and you'll probably have a tick somewhere on you.
Then there's the rain. And more rain. And even more rain. The only time since spring started that we have had a whole week without rain was during the heatwave in May. That week we had record-breaking heat in the 90s. All my flowers in pots are drenched, some have already died from root rot. It feels like it's turning into a swamp around here. It has been like this for 3 years it seems. The rains start between February and March and end sometime in June or July. Each year a little worse than the year before.
About 6 years ago, I lived near the Tennessee River. We were in a drought so bad that I was able to walk out on the riverbed. Then the rain came in 2013 and the river flooded. This picture was taken from the riverbed a few days before it flooded.
Sometimes I wonder, if there are intelligent aliens out there, what must they think of us? What would they say about this thing called "money" that prevents humans from saving themselves. Especially when most money is not a limited resource (like gold, silver, etc.) and more can always be created. What would they say about 99% of humans allowing the other 1% to drive the whole species to extinction?