Haven't done this for a long time, but anyway...
Who had severe issues after this was last flown?
No, can't be, gotta be Maximilian?
from a reasonably stable genius.
Not sure how this works, but it’s the Mexican imperial flag
[1864/1865-1867 Mexican Imperial National Flag]
Maximilian I of Mexico
After a distinguished career in the Austrian Navy as its commander, he accepted an offer by Napoleon III of France to rule Mexico, conditional on a national plebiscite in his favour. France (along with the United Kingdom and Spain, who both withdrew the following year after negotiating agreements with Mexico's republican government) invaded the Mexican Republic in the winter of 1861, as part of the War of the French Intervention. Seeking to legitimize French rule in the Americas, Napoleon III invited Maximilian to establish a new Mexican monarchy. With the support of the French army and a group of conservative Mexican monarchists hostile to the liberal administration of the new Mexican president, Benito Juárez, Maximilian traveled to Mexico and declared himself Emperor of Mexico on 10 April 1864.
Interesting fun finding this info — I had no idea.
Now, whenever I see a reference to him I will always picture some weird adult in diapers ; ).
or must one have historical and vexilology knowledge ; ).
Judging from the symbolism of colour, it’s a flag from a time and dynasty that chose to represent themselves with vibrancy and fertility, or the conflicted state of danger and hope.
Color Symbolism in Flags
Colors within flags differ from country to country and state to state; the colors presented hold deep-seeded meaning and representation.
• Black: Often used to represent determination, ethnic heritage and/or the defeat of enemies. It can also be used as a symbol of death or mourning.
• White: Seen as a symbol of peace, purity and harmony, and has also been used to represent surrender in times of battle.
• Red: Stands for power, revolution, vibrancy and war (symbolic of bloodshed). Other meanings include courage and domination, while it can also be viewed as an alert of danger.
• Blue: Signifies determination, liberation, alertness and good fortune.
• Green: Often seen as a symbol of agricultural influence, as well as prosperity and fertility. It can also be viewed as youthfulness and hope.
• Yellow (or Gold): Has long been viewed as a symbol of wealth and energy, as in the sun. It can also be used to represent happiness.
• Orange: Viewed as representation of courage and sacrifice.
In any case, it must be interesting as the visual and creative person you are to study history through the symbolism of flags.
The last NZ government spent precious money on a referendum on the country's flag for nothing.
Maximilian paid the ultimate price for his 'empire', but another suffered for years after the flag came down for the last time.
after the abolition of the short-lived "Mexican Empire" and the execution of her husband.
Really, people, think outside the box!
There is no justice. There can be no peace.
First past the post!
I received the flag for Christmas. I should go and fly it again.